CyberTruck App Virtual

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Hi, not promoting this APP, just found this item, and sharing the knowledge.

AR Cybertruck.jpg

Advertisement

First Name
Kurt
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 85D, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Air traffic controller
Country flag
I gotta have that Droid

alan auerbach

Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I gotta have that Droid
(Not sure where this post belongs.)

Would it be possible to prevent communications between one's vehicle and Tesla? (Not that I'd want to; just curious.)

Could not a good hacker bypass Tesla's security and do a phony communication?

When Tesla sends a worldwide update electronically to their vehicles, or extracts info from them, where do the messages originate from and go back to?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag

Would it be possible to prevent communications between one's vehicle and Tesla? (Not that I'd want to; just curious.)
Yes. Park it in a screen room. To what end?

Probably. To what end?

When Tesla sends a worldwide update electronically to their vehicles, or extracts info from them, where do the messages originate from and go back to?
A server or series of servers whose locations are probably kept secret for security reasons.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Communications are keyed to a pre-set rotating code. So it could be possible to fool the car into thinking it's talking to their servers, but it would a massive amount of processing power to decode what the appropriate code would be at any point in time.

That's why the keyfob reprogramming trick was possible - and why they'll be able to patch it out.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag

Yes. Park it in a screen room. To what end?

Probably. To what end?

A server or series of servers whose locations are probably kept secret for security reasons.
To what end AJ? Suppose an owner did not want to leave any evidence of where or how he drove, or a malicious hacker just wanted to cause problems.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Reaction score
Vehicles
reservation for 2 motor Cybertruck, Nissan Leaf, Subau Outback, Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Occupation
programmer
Country flag
Remove the cellular modem or break it (I have seen people purposefully make circuit boards specific components fail by using static shocks to damage specific components... or a solder tool).

If it is a module and the car would work without it, could remove it. If it was not the component that did WiFi, would need to address that as well.

And not take it in or have service done, I am sure plugging in would allow Tesla to download that data.

I could see Supercharging not working after a while with no communication with Tesla.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
To what end AJ? Suppose an owner did not want to leave any evidence of where or how he drove, or a malicious hacker just wanted to cause problems.
Maybe this person is a new unabomber and has nefarious intentions so doesn’t want any internet footprint. I knew a guy once that said cameras on every street post were ok with him because he had nothing to hide. Ok, two extremes neither of which define the majority of us...:) :) :)

craz

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As consumers we trust that Tesla has done their due diligence to design a system which shields safety-critical functions from tampering, but no computer or network is impenetrable.

In regards to privacy, there’s probably a line in the T&C’s which describes what liberties Tesla can take with your personal data, i.e locations etc. I don’t think there’s a precedent of Tesla providing personal info as result of subpoena but maybe that stuff isn’t public. I’m confident Tesla will readily provide those details to the CCP for its China-make cars, however. Simply the cost of doing business there.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Reaction score
Vehicles
reservation for 2 motor Cybertruck, Nissan Leaf, Subau Outback, Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Occupation
programmer
Country flag
As consumers we trust that Tesla has done their due diligence to design a system which shields safety-critical functions from tampering, but no computer or network is impenetrable.

In regards to privacy, there’s probably a line in the T&C’s which describes what liberties Tesla can take with your personal data, i.e locations etc. I don’t think there’s a precedent of Tesla providing personal info as result of subpoena but maybe that stuff isn’t public. I’m confident Tesla will readily provide those details to the CCP for its China-make cars, however. Simply the cost of doing business there.
The fact they promote people to try to hack and offer prizes for said hacks gets them some leeway from me. They have also taken steps with every breech in security to address it.

I think they are trying to make their platform more secure, but their stance being counter to right-to-repair I do not like.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
The fact they promote people to try to hack and offer prizes for said hacks gets them some leeway from me. They have also taken steps with every breech in security to address it.

I think they are trying to make their platform more secure, but their stance being counter to right-to-repair I do not like.
In this case right to repair probably requires opening up their software to some extent, and that would compromise the security of the platform. You would hate Apple for the same reason I bet. So the question is whether right to repair can be modular in which case the modules might be designed in a way that they don’t compromise the platform. You can get an iPhone screen replaced just about anywhere. Is that what you have in mind?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
programmer
Country flag
In this case right to repair probably requires opening up their software to some extent, and that would compromise the security of the platform. You would hate Apple for the same reason I bet. So the question is whether right to repair can be modular in which case the modules might be designed in a way that they don’t compromise the platform. You can get an iPhone screen replaced just about anywhere. Is that what you have in mind?
I do not hate either Tesla nor Apple, but I also am not happy with both of their stances on the right to repair.
Software can be developed that is secure but does not keep a Tesla component from one car to be used on another car (such as when salvaging two cars to make one working car).

Advertisement

Advertisement