Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oldsmobile Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Nissan Frontier,...
Country flag
Won't any aerodynamic lift also be accompanied by more aerodynamic drag?
F150 already has the drag. Having the drag is inevitable. The question is if this shape in addition to reducing the drag has other benefits (like lift).

Advertisement

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
More like Friction reduction. If the lift works against the weight, theortetically there would be less contact. It would be like having more air in the tire or smaller economical tire. Bothe of those usually result in better gas millage.
Sure, but it's less friction because the wheels are operating under less force of gravity. ^-^

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oldsmobile Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Nissan Frontier,...
Country flag
Sure, but it's less friction because the wheels are operating under less force of gravity. ^-^

-Crissa
We are on the same page. I just didn’t want to say yes to avoid someone getting on my case saying the force of gravity does not change since mass of earth and CT remains the same. Otherwise we are both talking about the same thing.

Other than decades ago messing with some elementary FEA software, I don’t have any experience with aerodynamics. It would be fun to put this thing in a wind tunnel and keep tweaking stuff to see what happens. It is hard to conduct any experiments on a highway with so many variables and especially in my area a high likelihood of a lawyers driving behind me.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Do you guys think CT is lighter at higher speed due to having less air pressure on top like aircraft wings? Or you think the impact is negligible because there is a lot less surface area and speed?
it wouldn't be lighter because its mass or density won't be reduced - you're talking about lift . Planes aren't lighter at higher speed.

CappyJax

Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I probably should have worded it better. The question is, would it reduce energy consumption due to reduced stress (and may be contact area) on the tires?
Not on pavement. Any reduction of rolling friction would be countered by more aerodynamic drag from the lift. If you were on gravel or dirt, I suspect you would see a significant benefit.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
We are on the same page. I just didn’t want to say yes to avoid someone getting on my case saying the force of gravity does not change since mass of earth and CT remains the same. Otherwise we are both talking about the same thing.

Other than decades ago messing with some elementary FEA software, I don’t have any experience with aerodynamics. It would be fun to put this thing in a wind tunnel and keep tweaking stuff to see what happens. It is hard to conduct any experiments on a highway with so many variables and especially in my area a high likelihood of a lawyers driving behind me.
When I was in school we had some miniature wind tunnels and I put some tent designs (made of balsa wood) in them. I bet some students would get a kick out of running some truck designs in the small tunnels (cross section about 25 square inches) as a class project. Alternatively, maybe one of the Tesla freaks working at NASA Ames (etc) could get after hours access to a small tunnel (I really have no idea how the tunnel access works over there so it might be quite impossible without funding) to do some testing.

mlee168

First Name
Mon
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Plugin
Country flag
I would love to see how towing a trailer would affect aerodynamics compare to a F150. With a trailer, the aerodynamics could be the same as a F150 or worse when towing a trailer.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Private Lending Educator
Country flag
I would love to see how towing a trailer would affect aerodynamics compare to a F150. With a trailer, the aerodynamics could be the same as a F150 or worse when towing a trailer.
Probably has a lot to do with the exact shape of the trailer. Some shapes/sizes work better on one or the other.

Advertisement

Advertisement